Insuring Learner Drivers on Your Car

Where does the time go? One minute your child is hanging on your every word, the next they’re asking to get behind the steering wheel of your car. We all remember the excitement and nerves as we took our first steps on this rite of passage and looked for greater autonomy. Now it is our turn to support our children (ok young adults!) on their journey! Booking lessons with a professional driving school will guarantee they get the adequate and consistent lessons needed to pass the test. However, it can be beneficial for them to have additional practice outside of these structured lessons. If you’ve been asking yourself lately; “How do I insure my son/daughter on my car?” then you have come to the right place.

In this article, we’ll take you through the key points.

Car Insurance for Learner Drivers

All drivers in Ireland, including learner drivers, must have a valid insurance policy.

Adding a Named Driver: You can add the learner driver to your own insurance policy as a named driver. While they’re learning to drive, they can legally practise in your car, as long as you or another licensed driver is with them. Be aware that the accompanying licensed driver must have held their licence for at least 2 years.

Named Driver Experience: The longer the learner driver is on your policy as a named driver, the more “named driver experience” they will have. The length of experience that they have might be considered when they are seeking their own insurance policy, which is another benefit of practising outside of structured lessons.

Remember though, it is mandatory that all learner drivers complete the Essential Driver Training (EDT), which consists of 12 sessions with an approved instructor who can sign off on each lesson. The RSA website has more information on EDT.

Insuring a Learner Driving On My Car: What Do I Need to Know?

As the owner of the vehicle and the possible parent of the learner driver, we’re sure you want to be equipped with as much knowledge as possible before letting them step foot in your car. Here are 6 things you need to know when insuring a learner driver on your car.

1) Named Driver Policies

The named driver is covered under the same type of policy you currently have with your insurance provider. Therefore, if you have fully comprehensive insurance, the named driver will as well.

Do you have a question about named driver policies? Give our team of experts a call on 0818 300 301.

2) Potential Premium Impact

Adding a named driver to your insurance policy will probably affect your premium because of the increased risk. If you’re looking to find out how much it will cost, contact your insurance company or car insurance broker to get a revised quote. They will ask you for details of the additional driver to determine the amount.

3) Who Can Accompany the Learner Driver?

As mentioned in the “Named Driver” section, someone who has a full driving licence must always accompany the learner driver. It is also required that this person has held their licence for at least 2 years.

Learner drivers insured on your car should never drive alone. Gardaí could potentially detain your car if they stop them. Additionally, you may be fined €1000.

4) Learner Plates

Until the learner driver has passed their driving test, they must drive with a car that has clearly displayed learner plates. It is against the law to drive without them as a learner. One should be at the front of the vehicle, and one at the rear. Make sure they are displayed clearly. Failure to do so can result in a €120 fine and two penalty points.

If you’re insuring a learner on your car, it would be beneficial for you to get magnetic L plates as you can easily remove them when they’re not driving.

5) What Happens if there is an Accident?

When an accident occurs, and all legal requirements are met, the claim would proceed as usual. To learn more, check out our handy Claims Guide. If the Learner Driver was driving unaccompanied or the accompanying driver did not meet the legal requirements, the insurance cover could be deemed invalid. Unaccompanied learner drivers are not covered in the event of an accident. Any claim made against the driver will be handled under your policy.

6) Restrictions in Ireland

A learner driver is not permitted to drive on a motorway, carry any passenger for reward or drive unaccompanied. There are a number of other restrictions to be aware of. We would recommend a visit to the RSA website.

Why Choose Campion Insurance to Insure a Learner Driver on Your Car?

At Campion Insurance, we compare the best insurance for a young driver on the market. Undoubtedly, you’ll feel a little nervous when you give a learner driver the keys to your motor. You want to ensure that both you and the new driver are protected. Besides trying to find you the best deal for your requirements, Campion Insurance can give you peace of mind; which is priceless, right?

We are always here to help, so if you have a question about insuring learner drivers in Ireland, get in touch with the details below.

Get Started With Us

Option One: Give our team a call directly at 081 830 0301

Option Two: Fill out THIS callback form

Option Three: Visit our website to learn more about Learner Driver’s Insurance

Useful Links

Get in Touch

    • Name*

    • Email *

    • Phone Number *

    • County

    • Your message


    Leave your number here and we will give you a call back.


        • My Insurance Query relates to

          Farm dwelling / ContentsPublic LiabilityEmployers LiabilityPersonal AccidentLivestockOutbuildingsTractors & MachineryPrivate Car/Jeep


        Leave your number here and we will give you a call back.