What to do if you are involved in a crash? Claims Guide
Being involved in a motor incident can be daunting affair. It helps to be prepared, so you are aware of what to do. In this blog we are going to tell you how and what to do if you are involved in a crash. Below are pointers shared by our Claims Team.
At the accident scene:
- Take the details of all vehicles involved, including insurance details.
- Get name and phone number (address if possible) of other drivers involved.
- Note any witnesses and take their details even if liability appears clear cut.
- Take several images of the accident scene, including the placement of the vehicle(s) if safe to do so.
- Note any CCTV in the area which may have captured the event.
- Contact Gardai, if the incident was moderate/severe, if you believe there are any personal injuries involved, or if there is any difficulty exchanging details with any third parties.
- If unsure, you can call your broker/insurer for guidance.
- Full details may be relevant even in low- speed impacts to combat spurious injury claims.
What will the insurers need to know?
- Who was driving at the time?
- Your vehicle registration and policy details.
- The contact details, car registration and insurance details of anyone else involved.
- The contact details of any witnesses or Gardaí.
- Images of accident scene and vehicles
What to do after the accident?
- Call your broker or insurer immediately to report the accident, these details can also be emailed.
- Provide details of claim to broker/insurer.
What insurers can do to help?
- Can send a tow truck if your vehicle is undriveable (depending on the policy).
- Can arrange to have your vehicle repaired in approved repairers if you hold a comprehensive policy.
- Some insurers can provide a courtesy car for the duration of the repairs.
- If your vehicle is damaged beyond repair, they will make an offer to settle your damages.
- Insurers will investigate the matter and will defend the claim on your behalf if possible.
What your broker can do to help?
- Provide guidance on how to proceed with claim, for example how to pursue a claim against a third party in the event of a non-fault claim without effecting no claims discounts.
- If you are unhappy with the actions been taken by the insurers, for example the amount offered for your vehicle or liability decision, brokers can offer guidance.
- Brokers can also advise of procedures for pursuing personal injury claims or put you in touch with vehicle assessors to dispute vehicle valuations.
- Brokers can provide guidance if you are involved in a claim with an uninsured driver.
We hope you’ll never have an accident, but should it happen, the above guidelines will make the experience easier to handle. At Campion Insurance, we have a dedicated team to guide you with claims. Contact us on 0818 300 305 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org and a team member will get back to you as soon as possible. Safe Drive, Stay Alive!