Finding the best insurance for young drivers, whether you’re looking for minimum cover or extensive protection. At Campion, we can compare car insurance policies to get you the best deal.
What is Young Driver Insurance?
Drivers aged 17-24 are considered young drivers. These drivers are newer to the road making it challenging for them to find car insurance that offers excellent cover at an affordable price.
A car insurance policy safeguards the insured driver. There are 3 main types of policy cover you can get, Third Party, Third Party Fire & Theft and Comprehensive. To learn more click here.
At Campion, we’re here to do the hard work for you. We search the market to find great-value insurance tailored to you.
How does young driver insurance work?
In general, insurance premiums are higher for drivers with less experience. Although it can be more challenging to find cost effective insurance options, as you gain more experience on the road, the cost of your premium should reduce.
We offer flexible payment options so that you can choose to pay for your policy, monthly or yearly.
Types of Car Insurance
- The minimum level of insurance legally required by Irish law
- Covers passengers, other drivers, and damage to third party property
- Limits apply
Third Party, Fire and Theft
- Covers all Third Party insurance elements
- Also protects against fire and theft damage caused to your car
- Limits apply
- Covers all aspects detailed under Third Party, Fire and Theft
- Also covers accidental damage caused to your car
- Limits apply
Whatever level of cover you need, why not get a quote from Campion today?
Young Drivers Car Insurance - FAQs
Alongside being considered a young driver, there are a few other factors that can impact the cost of your car insurance. For example, where you live can affect the price, as can your choice of car, your job, and how often you use your vehicle.
Young driver car insurance tends to be much more expensive than cover for over 25s. However, there are a few ways you can reduce your premiums:
- Obtain a full license — as soon as you’ve passed your driving test, insurance costs will reduce.
- Choose the right car— a car with a low engine size (under 1.4L or 1400cc) is likely to come under a lower insurance bracket. It’s also best to go for a vehicle under 10 years old. They usually have better safety features, which can keep insurance prices down.
- Named driver experience— if you drive your parent’s car for a year, the named driving insurance will show insurers that you have a good driving history. This validation can lower insurance costs.
- Add a second, low-risk driver to your cover — adding a more experienced driver to your policy can lower insurance costs as it indicates you use the vehicle less.
- Consider an advanced driving course — as well as having a full license, passing an advanced driving course will help prove you’re a safe driver and reduce your insurance premiums.
- Pay annually — paying upfront for the year can work out cheaper than monthly instalments.
- Increase your voluntary excess.
- Compare deals — shopping around (or letting an insurance broker do this for you) can help you find the most affordable options.
Any driver aged 17 to 24 is considered a young driver. Many drivers under 25 are new to the roads, making it challenging to find car insurance that offers excellent cover at an affordable price.
Fortunately, at Campion, we’re here to do the hard work for you — we can search policies across Ireland to find great-value insurance tailored to you.
If you are the car’s registered owner, you can get insurance in your own name. Then you can build up a no claims bonus in your own name. This will stand for you when you go to renew your policy each year. You may be entitled to a discount if you’ve been a named driver for at least a year on someone else’s policy and are claims-free.
Historically there was evidence to suggest that women were safer drivers than men and that men under 25 have more accidents. Therefore, in the past men, especially younger men, were typically charged higher premiums than women. However, since the implementation of gender equality legislation in 2012, it is no longer permissible to discriminate based on gender. Therefore, pricing discrimination for insurance is no longer legal, and you should never have to pay more because of your gender.
Penalty points are used to enforce the road rules and improve road safety and driver behaviour. Penalty points range from 1 to 3 points depending on the motoring offence committed. For example, you will receive one penalty point for driving on a cycle track and three penalty points for speeding.
Penalty points can affect your car insurance in different ways. Having points on your licence can increase your insurance premium and, in some cases, make it harder for you to get cover. Therefore, to simplify getting a car insurance quote, it’s important to keep your driving record as clean as possible. Generally, having less than two penalty points won’t affect your car insurance, but practice differs among different insurance companies.
However, if you’ve had fixed penalty points applied to your licence, you must tell your insurance company. If you don’t, this could affect your ability to make a claim, which can leave you seriously out of pocket.
Why Choose Campion for your Young Drivers Insurance
35+ years experience
11 offices throughout the country
Winner of the Deloitte Best Managed Companies for over 10 years
High customer retention rates
At Campion Insurance, we compare the best car insurance deals across Ireland to make sure young drivers get effective cover at an affordable price.
Learning to drive, buying your first car, and purchasing car insurance is an expensive endeavour. We can search a range of insurers to help get you the best and most cost-effective policy.
Shopping around for the best car insurance deals can be time-consuming and confusing. So, why not let us do the tricky bit for you?
As a leading insurance broker in Ireland, Campion has the industry experience and attention to detail to find the cover that suits your needs.Get a Quote
Articles & Guides
Finding the right car insurance – how complicated can it be? With so many insurers promising the best coverage at...Read More
Choosing the right car insurance is an integral part of vehicle ownership. However, sometimes it’s hard to sift through the...Read More
Comprehensive car insurance offers full financial protection. It means that your insurance provider will pay out in almost all cases....Read More